Thursday, June 23, 2011

Over the hills and through the desert...

To the desert of Jordan we go!
My oh my, can I just say that this field trip has been one of my favorites by far! Not gonna lie, I loved going to Turkey and all over Israel, but Jordan has been one of the most significant for me. For the past 4 days we went from Mt. Nebo where Moses and Elijah were translated all the way down to Petra where the Nabateans ruled, and back up to ancient Rabath-amman where Uriah was killed by the order of King David.Here are some highlights of the trip...Day 1-Mt. Nebo: looked over the valley of Moab, Dead Sea, and off to Jericho looking up to the hills of Jerusalem-Madaba: went to St.George's Church where there was a Byzantine mosaic map of ancient Palestine
-LUNCH-Machaerus: The place where King Herod Antipus (son of Herod the Great) had a palace and where he imprisoned and beheaded John the Baptist
-3 hr drive to Petra-Arrived and ate an interesting dinner at a not so great motel with brown water
Me & the Mt.Nebo Memorial

Me & My Surrogate Parents aka the Chadwicks

Day 2-PETRA!
Oh boy, what can I say about this place. Well, a few things1. Sunscreen AND a hat are a must while you are there. When it's 95 degrees and you are in the middle of the desert a nice sweaty hat will keep you cool.
2. Don't try to look cute when you go. Throw your fashion and pride out the window because you will be drenched in sweat once you walk out of the air conditioned bus.
3. Drink water every 5 mins or else you will die...literally, but it's ok because there are plenty of tombs there for them to throw you into.
4. When you find shade savor it.
5. Beware, camel's have lots of bugs/fleas, but they are way fun to ride
6. Expect to be covered in 5 layers of dirt when you leave
7. BEST PLACE EVER!-Shobak Castle: well, when we got here we were extremely tired from a full 8 hrs of being in the sun at Petra, so we were dead walking up to hill to this castle. However, there was a crazy steep tunnel that Bro. Muhlestein took us down and I thought I was going to slip and fall to my death, because it led to a cistern that looked like a bottomless pit of doom.-Another 3 hr drive to Amman-Ate decent food at the hotel and passed out by 10 after showering off dirt for 30 mins

I LOVE PETRA!

Being one with the elephant rock

I RODE A CAMEL!

Yup, I'm spider woman
Day 3-King Abdullah I Mosque: SIKE! we skipped out on this place because the head people there were being crazy. We didn't miss anything though because we saw mosques in Turkey that were 100 x's better.-Citadel of Amman: place where David ordered Uriah, Beersheba's hubby, to die in battle. This site was a little sad for me because this is presumably where David lost his chance at receiving the highest degree of exaltation. David was such an awesome guy and an example to all of us that even the greatest and most beloved of the Lord can fall. It shows that we need to continually rely on the Lord and when we make a mistake we need to immediately repent and come back to Him.-Jabbok River: when we were driving to this site I looked out the window and saw how beautiful it was outside. Bro.Muhlestein told us that we were driving through ancient Gilead and I just thought of how beautiful the green valleys and hills full of olive trees were. Too bad we can't travel into the West Bank because I've been told it is just beautiful. Anyways, the Jabbok river is the river where Jacob came to prey to the Lord right before he met up with his brother Esau. He had just split it family into two groups because he was scared that Esau would kill them due to the fact that Jacob got his birth right. During the night, Jacob was visited by an angel and they wrestled all night until the angel gave Jacob the blessing he wanted and gave him the additional name of "Israel." I want to be like Jacob. Throughout his whole life he has been fighting for what he wants and doesn't give up until he gets it.


Tyson and Scott reenacting Jacob wrestling with the angel

-LUNCH: the place we ate at gave us the most delicious pita and they gave it to us straight from the oven. Hmmhmm goooood.-Jerash: By this point we were all exhausted from the day before in Petra and walking around everywhere else, plus it was SUPER hot. However, this ancient city was way fun to walk around. It is probable that Jerash was ancient Jershon where Abraham traveled to during the MBII period.
-After a long day we made it back to Amman and played around the city eating delicious pastries, ice cream from "SCREAM," and dancing past the King's night club. All in all, it was a great day.

DAY 4
-Roman theater: SUPER COOL! Apparently this is the biggest theater in the middle east and the most impressive. There is the "sweet spot" where "X" marks the spot, and when you stand there you can be talking in a normal voice and everyone can hear you perfectly. You can guess that we had some fun singing there in that theater.
-Then we walked around through downtown Amman where the normal citizens shop and work and we got to see some interesting things like sheep heads, technicolor baby chicks, and hooka's up the wazoo.-Jordan River: This place is absolutely beautiful. It was here that we read the account of Christ's baptism and sang the song "Baptism." After Bro.Muhlestein gave a lovely devotional he gave us time to share our testimonys. The spirit was so strong that afternoon while we were looking over onto the river. It just made me think of my parents and how thankful I am that they joined the church when they did. I'm thankful that when I was 8 years old my dad baptized me with the correct priesthood authority. I"m sad for those who don't have the full knowledge of the gospel and I just wish I could tell people here about it, but that will come in its due time. I can, however, share my knowledge with you guys. I hope that if you have any doubts or you are just curious about anything I write on here that you will email me. I am more than willing to chat with you about what I know and I'm ready to answer questions. I just love you guys.
-After a fun couple of hours going through the border, we got back, ran and did a quick load of laundry, showered days of stinkiness from my body, and got ready to go to a Matisyahu concert in West Jerusalem. A little frustrating at first, but the night was full of good music, dancing, and thousands of sweaty people that don't believe in personal space. That's ok though, it was worth $26 ha ha.

Me in the Jordan River
I LOVE LIVING HERE!

1 comment: