Sunday, May 15, 2011

Unfortunate Events

So, since I have been in the Holy Land I have gotten pooped on by a bird aka "Holy Shiz", had my sunglasses stolen from a little local boy in Jericho, and got my foot burned by a cigarette.

Story Time: Sunglasses
So, there we were, walking around the ruins of Herod's Palace in Jericho, and I see these cute little children that live near the ruins. I go to get a picture with them because they are so darn cute, and this little boy is just looking at me and wanting a high 5. I smack his hand and then he looks and smiles and sees my wicked cool sunglasses. He points at them, to me signifying that he wanted to see them, so I take them off and hold them in my hands. I was thinking he was just going to look at them, but no. This little boy ups and snatches them right from my hands, puts them on his head, and runs away laughing.
I was standing there shocked, and frozen because I didn't know what to do. In America I would just run after the child and get my glasses back, but I didn't know the protocol there in Jericho. So, I walk to Bro. Muhlestein with my head held down, telling him how the little boy took my glasses. I had already come to the realization that I would never get them back until Bro. Muhlestein called George (George was the security guard who was hanging with us for the day). George was the hero of the day. He's a little man, but full of fire. He walked over looking all big and angry, yelled something in arabic, and the dad came out with my sunglasses.
SUCCESS! George was my hero, and I got my sunglasses back.

Story Time: Cigarette
This story isn't as exciting, but it happened in the same exact spot as the bird spot incident. So, I was innocently walking with a group of friends to the Old City to look for a sweatshirt for our upcoming trip to Turkey (leaving today). As we were walking I feel something get flipped up into my sandal. At first, I thought it was a rock and I was just going to shack it out, but then it started to burn. Soon to feel a piercing burn, I bend over and freak out trying to get this crazy thing out of my shoe. I finally found the source...a cigarette. I now have a nice little burn on the top of my foot, and patiently await for my next incident.

Now, I'm sitting here waiting to go to Turkey for a week. Not gonna lie, I'm way excited. We will be there for a week exploring the same routes that Paul took when proselyting after the time of Christ. We fly into Istanbul, then go to Canakkle, then Behramkale, making our to Ephesus, Hierspolis, Bursa, and then making our way back to Istanbul. I'm pretty sure we will be going to other cities and loads of ruins/famous biblical sites, but I'll have to do a special blog just for Turkey. PEACE!

2 comments:

  1. man it's seriously SO cool you get to go to all these places! i can't believe you're in places that are in the bible! SWEET!! sorry about your foot though. suxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun!!!! We had ice cream balls !!!
    Eric

    ReplyDelete